středa 23. března 2022

CALLing for PRactice

  


CALL = Computer Assisted Language Learning

e.g. Moodle, Duolingo... or any other way of studying with the support of ICT

even has its own journal!

_________________________________

Usual techniques for practice and testing

  • yes-no/true-false
  • matching
  • ordering
  • multiple choice
  • gap fill/cloze test
  • open questions
  • creative production
_________________________________

TASK 1

Study the pros and cons of various test types HERE. Any disagreements?

What is your favourite test technique - from the different point of view:

  1. as a  student
  2. as a teacher
Add your answer into the comments to this blog entry. Sign your comment.
Read the other comments and try to identify the  reasons why people prefer specific techniques - and what are the T's and Ss' reasons.


More techniques to consider: which can be used to practicing language skills, and which focus mainly on memorised factual knowledge? 
















_________________________________

TASK 2 - see the Moodle Blog entry.

24 komentářů:

  1. I, as a teacher, prefer abc system or filling gaps system. But as a student I'd prefer open answers.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  2. It depends on the topic that's tested, but the easiest for both sides is T/F, matching, MCH. Then it would be GF.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  3. Leitgebová - as a student I prefer multiple choice or true false due to a bigger chance of being right, but as a teacher I'd prefer open questions to really test the student's knowledge.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  4. As a student I would prefer something easier that does not require a lot of thinking, like true or false qustions
    As a teacher I would prefer something that would show me the most "behind", the thinking od tudent, if he can apply grammatical rules, something like an essay or open question

    OdpovědětVymazat
  5. Hamplová:
    -As a student: gap filling or matching is great, because we do not have to invent our own answer, but there is a possibility that when we do not know or we know just a little bit, we will find the right answer
    -as a teacher: yes/no answers, one answer questions or matching: because it is easy to control, there tests should be easy to understand for students

    OdpovědětVymazat
  6. Filip Svoboda
    I would say that open answers are best to show what student knows but as a student I prefer Multiple Choice or True/False because it's easier

    OdpovědětVymazat
  7. As a student I prefer True/False type of testing. As a teacher I would prefer students writing an essay. Kuželík

    OdpovědětVymazat
  8. student - multiple choice (it can help me if I am not exactly sure about the right answear)
    teacher - open q. (it shows students´ real knowledge about the topic)
    Vránová

    OdpovědětVymazat
  9. As a student I would prefer true/false types of tests, because there is always 50% chance of answering correctly.

    As a teacher I would prefer tests with open questions, because I can see how the students think about the question/problem instead of just ticking the right box.

    -Jelínek

    OdpovědětVymazat
  10. As a student true/false or multiple choice (it is quick and easy)

    As a teacher: open question (there is a bigger chance to find something that is correct)

    Fleišerová

    OdpovědětVymazat
  11. I agree, it depends on the topic.
    As a student: multiple choice (I don t have to learn everything by heart)
    As a teacher: open questions (students have chance to express)
    Mračková

    OdpovědětVymazat
  12. For both sides, I would say combination of MC, T/F or matching and open-ended questions.
    Thiemová

    OdpovědětVymazat
  13. As a student I obviously prefer multiple choice and true/false types of tests because they give me options and remind me of the stuff I studied. It also gives me an option to just "guess" if I dont know.

    As a teacher I prefer tests where student has to write the answer themselves because they cant just guess. However I do feel that this type of test can be seen as somewhat unfair due to structuring of the questions.

    Martin Budinský

    OdpovědětVymazat
  14. As a student I prefer the essay, because we can choose our own topic, so we can write about something that we like. Another advantage is that we have a long time for the writing, so we are not under so much pressure. And as a teacher I don't really know, because I have no experience yet. - Moudrá

    OdpovědětVymazat
  15. As a student I prefer open questions, because I think that sometimes it is the best option when I can´t remember right answer, so I can use my another skills.
    As a teacher I prefer creative production, because I think that everyone is creative and it can improve student´s inovation.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  16. As a teacher I'd prefer true or false and multiple choice questions.
    And as a student I prefer open answer questions (to make sure I can properly express my thoughts).
    Višínová

    OdpovědětVymazat
  17. Bleha
    As a teacher I would prefer open questions to test the student´s knowledge and how he thinks about the question/topic.
    As a students I prefer multiple choice questions. They are easier to answer.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  18. As a student I prefer multiple choice or gap filling, because it's easier.
    As a teacher I would prefer open questions because it proves the student's knowledge.
    Kořínková

    OdpovědětVymazat
  19. Simona Jandová
    As a student: I would prefer match making or multiple choice, because there is always some chance to be right without knowing the answer. And it is easy.
    As a teacher: I would prefer open questions, because they make the student think about the answer and really test their knowledge, because they can´t guess, they must know it. Also it is easy to create for the teacher

    OdpovědětVymazat
  20. As a student I prefer multiple choice - it is easier and quicker to fill in. However, sometimes it can be tricky.

    As a teacher I would prefer the same (multiple choice)because the student´s answer is clear.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  21. As a student I prefer multiple choices or matching – these types of tests give me options and help me if I am not sure about the answer.

    As a teacher I prefer open questions – they have to write the answers themselves, so it shows student’s real knowledge about the topic.

    - Bydlová

    OdpovědětVymazat
  22. As a teacher I would prefer open questions technique, beucase there is much better chance of testing the knowledge. But as a student I prefer yes-no/true-false technique because there is a bigger chance to hit the right answer.
    - Perková

    OdpovědětVymazat
  23. Essay test from the view of teacher - Children have to somehow synthesize all the information and they choose what to write, they dont have to learn useless pieces of information, they decide what is important and worth writing down. They also train the writing skills. From the view of children it can be harder and more annoying than multiple choice test etc.
    Václavíček

    OdpovědětVymazat