pondělí 18. listopadu 2013

Krashen's Monitor Model

Find more about Krashen's five hypotheses.
Choose two of them, and think of an example from your own experience that corresponds with Krashen's definition. Enter your examples into the comments to this blog entry.


www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiTsduRreug&list=PLBsTWGrcvuuAmVAr20Siux1eoNzU0HRsu

http://esl.fis.edu/teachers/support/krashen.htm

http://www.sk.com.br/sk-krash.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephen-Krashen/182152158535031


19 komentářů:

  1. Michelová:

    The Input Hypothesis: If I don´t understand the input I simply stop listening and perceiving the information. It seems to be a waste of time then.

    The Natural Order Hypothesis: I have to start with simple words (animals, colors, family, ...) when I teach very young children. Then I can combine them ( a grey elephant, ..) After this it´s possible to create longer sentences with a help of easy phrases. This process is applicable to older children, too. Of course, the level of English is then higher.
    This sounds like a perfect model of teaching. However, sometimes I am surprised by my students. Some are capable to understand and remember complex phrases even before they know how the sentence structure look like. (Mostly they hear it on TV).

    OdpovědětVymazat
  2. Jan Harák
    The Affective Filter Hypothesis
    We had really strict German teacher at school. To the way it became ridiculous. She pushed the input to the levels, that only 2 people out from 18 could understand. Then she started giving tests, that were too difficult to pass. More than half of the class always failed them (they got 5). Sometimes not a single person got better grade than 3 and more than 10 people got 5. I went to University teacher for paid lessons, but he explained to me, that the test are not even understandable, that he would mark my answer correct. He said that the only way to past her test would be to cheat. And everybody did just that.
    At the end of the school, nobody understand German, most of us even hates it for the rest of our life. That is the result of being "strict"

    The Monitor Hypothesis
    When I take grammatical test and don't know the answer, I write the possibilities next to each other, most of the time, I can tell which one is correct.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  3. The Affective Filter Hypothesis
    My students are usually around 8-12 years, so I always try to find out what they like and I try to talk to them about importance of English for good motivation.

    The Input Hypothesis
    Unfortunately, during my studies at basic school, our English teacher only spoke in Czech and about her life without any connection to English. Lessons like this are absolutelu useless for children and they cant learn anything.

    OdpovědětVymazat
    Odpovědi
    1. I've seen so many teachers who shouldn't teach because they bastardize so many generations of future speakers! Sadly every school needs teachers and there aren't enough GOOD teachers so the poor ones get to teach too :-(

      Vymazat
  4. Tento komentář byl odstraněn autorem.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  5. The Affective Filter Hypothesis Clearly describes my experiences with teachers not only regarding English but also Spanish and German. Though my experiences are rather combinations of Krashen's hypothesis... I've never had a teacher do what Krashen did in his short talk that was so effective as to describe what he's drawing. If I compare that to our German lessons it is totally different league of teaching.
    4 or these 5 hypothesis seem rather common sense to me yet rarely have I had a teacher back at school who was effective, most of what I know I learned alone while communicating with natives myself.
    I agree with him saying that it is meaningless to teach what students cant apply if they haven't yet acquired enough to apply the new ON! Surely grammar rules are in the way of acquisition, specially to the very beginners or dilettantes. Firstly teach them to speak, say some words, chunks and phrases, teach them to think in the language and then, only then teach grammar!
    I totally agree with Krashen's "comprehensive input". Those teachers who think it's so great to talk to the learners are useless unless it is combined with something that allows comprehension!
    I may sound harsh and highly critical of teachers but that is because of my experience and because of my expectations I have from teachers of English, sadly these are hardly ever fulfilled.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  6. Havránková H.
    The Input Hypothesis
    I have to say that I had been blessed with good English teachers, Whether at elementary school or high school. And that is important, because if the students don't undestand the input or the teacher/speaker is just not interesting the whole lesson is a complete waste of time.

    The Affective Filter Hypothesis
    I always try to tell my students that English is very important, nowadays. Even though they don't like it, they will need it. And I try to motivate them to like it. Sometimes it's hard, though.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  7. Nikola Špiritová

    The Input Hypothesis
    During my studies in elementary school we had a teacher who spoke only in Czech. I understood but my English pronunciation did not improve. Now I study German and it´s complete opposite. Teacher speaks only in German and I have problem to understand and comprehend what is being told and what I should do.

    The Affective Filter Hypothesis
    I had quite bad experience with my French teacher. She was really strict. One small mistake resulted in bad grade, which really lowered our self-esteem while speaking.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  8. Fortova
    The Input Hypothesis

    I was very lucky to have such a good teacher all the way from 3rd to 9th grade. She used the right amount of English and Czech so we always could understand. The comprehensible input was leveled. She used lot of pictures, songs and games to non-violent practicing so up until 6th grade we were playing with the language.

    OdpovědětVymazat
    Odpovědi
    1. Affective filter

      I remember in high school we had a bad,bad, bad, bad Spanish teacher. We were all beginners, most of us were excited to learn Spanish, she came into the class, didn't speak a word Czech (only if she wanted to tell us how stupid we were)she was mean, the environment in class became fearful and we started to hate Spanish. She was mean old hag and after 3 years of having Spanish twice a week I only learn mere basics of the language, because I was afraid of her and I knew no matter what I say she will be unhappy.

      Vymazat
  9. Kleinová

    I remember one teacher who came to our class and spoke only in English, she refused to speak Czech and for most of the class it was very hard to keep up with her, because the teacher we had before this one wanted to play games with us, sing songs and didn't put any pressure on us. This new teacher was on a completely different level than us and when she saw that only a few students understood what she was saying, she started focusing only on them and ignored the rest of the class that just sat there quietly and did nothing. Her approach to us was very unfair.


    This can be easily applied to the situation I described here. Those students who were ignored by the teacher were extremely nervous when she wanted to test them in front of the whole class, because she kept embarassing them when they didn't know the answer. They were so scared of her that eventually they gave up trying and kept getting bad grades.

    OdpovědětVymazat
    Odpovědi
    1. 1) The Input Hypothesis
      2) The Affective Filter Hypothesis

      Vymazat
  10. Viktorie Vášová

    The natural order hypothesis
    During my Erasmus stay I had a course called Teaching English to Young Learners and we were told exactly the same about teaching kids and the -s inflection so I think that we as teachers should not be so eager to teach children how to use the inflection from the beginning because they just need more time to get used to it. I remember how our teacher was always angry when we said a sentence without the -s inflection and then we were demotivated and afraid to say it again because we didn´t want to make another mistake.

    The Input Hypothesis
    This reminds two of my teachers of French language. The first one was old, very kind man who however managed to teach us just some bits of French and the other one came when we were already studying French for 2 years and we were supposed to communicate on a certain level. The second teacher was speaking only in French and we didn´t understand anything so I would say that there must be some balance between these two extremes just as Krashen´s Input Hypothesis says.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  11. Pavel Dynda

    1)The Input Hypothesis
    I still remember our english teacher with horrible pronunciation. She was perfect example of čenglish speaker and she percieved her pronouciation as perfect often forcing us to repeat exactly after her. This of course undermined my interest in english as well as my english itself as it I was getting worse thanks to bad input.

    2)The Monitor Hypothesis
    When it comes to written language there are many ways to correct yourself, even without doing anything as the programs show you the mistakes. But I often find myself saying something and immediately realizing that I made some sort grammar mistake. The only outcomes of this are repetition of correct form or ignoring the fact I made the mistake which can result in bad input, especially when you are a teacher.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  12. The Input Hypothesis
    I remember a teacher who was supposed to teach us German language but for a whole year no one said a single word in German-even she did not.
    The Natural Order Hypothesis
    my cousin had English lessons in a kindergarten and their teacher spoke from the very beginning just in English and the children handled it.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  13. Paulasová
    The Input Hypothesis
    Our teacher on basic school spoke only in english language even when he explained some grammar and so on. From the beginning it was hard for us but we got used to it and finally we were really well prepared for high school because of him.

    The Monitor Hypothesis
    The best way of correcting myself during speaking to someone is to have a longer conversation. If I speak to someone I start to realize that I'm making some mistakes, so the more sentences I say, the more I pay attention to making mistakes and I can avoid it.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  14. Lenka Čízová

    The Input Hypothesis
    I had a very good teacher who in almost every lesson used something from grammar that was new to us. From the communication we deduced the meaning and we acquired it - we did not have to learn anything but we understood it. E.g. I don't remember learning rules for past simple.... and I can use it properly. It was very motivating.

    The Affective Filter Hypothesis
    I remember when I started learnig English we had a very strict teacher. She was always angry when we made mistakes and she shouted at us and claimed we were stupid. I was not able to utter a word in her classes, I was very scared and demotivated. But later we were taught by a new yound teacher - she was full of energy, very kind to us and told us a lot about life in England - her approach to us raised my motivation and I was not afraid to speak Enlish any more.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  15. The Affective Filter Hypothesis
    I remember my Math teacher on the grammar school, she was absolutely insensitive, shouted at us whenever somebody did not know anything. The result was that everybody hated her and Math.

    The Monitor Hypothesis
    I encounter with the prove of this theory almost everyday at school, when a teacher asked us a question I tend to prepare the answer in my head at first thus reducing the nimber of mistakes. Also I usually try to correct myself when speaking in English and makeing some grammatical error, because as soon as I say it, I realize the mistake and act accordingly.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  16. Natural order hypothesis
    I think everybody can relate to the fact, that we learn the easier stuff first, and then the more complicated things. Simple words of everyday use first, then more difficult ones, simple grammar neccesary to make sense first, and then the tweaks to enhance the utterances.

    The monitor hypothesis
    It is interesting how people correct themselves after making a mistake when speaking. It won't happen to you while writting, because you have more time to think about it, but when speaking, one does often correct him\herself after making mastake - and if you know what's right, why wouldn't you say it in the first place ? -> Monitor hypothesis

    Input hypothesis
    I studied english language and german language at the same time - I could understand the english teacher, so I did good in the class, but it was not the same case in my german classes - I could understand singificantly worse, so I learned less.

    OdpovědětVymazat